Dear Running Feet,
It's been a while since we last set foot on that paved road or that trail that used to grace our footsteps with a 10/min mile pace 3-4 times a week. I don't even know where to begin.. I could go with the usual, "It's not you, it's me.." But I think I'd rather take the excuse route.. the one I can come up with at least ten legitimate excuses as to why we haven't seen the light of day. So here it goes:
- I'd like to blame it on the busy summers. I mean, it's our time, as photographers to shine. Everyone loves outdoor photoshoots. And with that, it leads to long nights, tiring mornings and many hours cramped in front of the computer.
- This other excuse only consists of three letters... BBQ. Yup. BBQ = Good Food = Not the healthiest. So I can't seem to find the balance of a healthy meal that includes grilling some food up. I've tried. But, I love me some good meat.. fatty meat for that matter.
- I convince myself.. a lot, that it's okay to steer off track. Well, to the point where.. I'm not even sure where the track went.
- Summer. What? Well, our summers don't exactly spell out consistency.. or routines.. or schedules. We eat what we want to. We eat when we want to. And I'd rather do other things than exercise! That was pretty straight forward... but it's true. I'd rather sit outside and read a book than put my jogging shoes on. And lately, the only running I've done is to get an iced Americano than struggle on a 3 mile run. It really is a no brainer.
- Then there's that major issue... called Motivation, Inspiration, Passion.. (they kinda all rhyme). And I'm ashamed to say I-ain't-got-any-shun... Nadda.
- For some strange reason.. I love running in the cold. I'd run in 20 degrees than in 60 degrees (?) Why? I'm not sure. So I'm gonna wait for cooler temps.. at least 50's ???
- Wildlife! Need I say more? There have been many times when the neighbors will say, "Oh don't go walking today.. there's a mama bear with a cub out there.." Or how about that one where there was a wolf out there. Safety first. (I guess I could go to the gym, but that is another story).
- And this is my favorite excuse: "Well, I've gone a few walks today and stayed active with the dog..that's good enough, right?"
With all this nonsense excuses.. I admit.. I think about you all the time. There really isn't a day that goes by that I don't say.. "today is the day.." Then that day turns into the next day, to next week, and now it's been months.
So.. it's not that I haven't forgotten about you. Not a chance.
As I slowly eased my way back into those comfy Brooks Running Shoes (starting Monday) we may not go to that Fire Station, you know the one that marks a good 7-8 miles... we may just end up at that bridge... or closer. But I've got to take baby steps. So bear with me.. as I dig deep for motivation and inspiration.
All I know.. is that I do need you. I crave time with you. I envy all the other soles out there that are out on pavement. Until we meet again.. (in a few days) I'm gonna eat all the "trash" I can and say good-bye to late night feedings, Americano's twice a day, and all those sweets.. (sigh)... I'm ready to come to terms with the outcome of such a fall out.
Your Upper Half The Body...